S.D.I. - Manual
A science-fiction adventure that takes you SDI is a into orbit some
30 years into the future.You're Sloan McCormick,commander of the
American SDI force,about to confront KGB-led revolutionaries bent
on starting -- and winning -- World War III.How can you prevent
To defeat the Soviet renegades,you'll fly a spaceship,operate a
space station,shoot missiles out of the sky,combat revolutionaries
and work with an old friend.An old Russian friend.The commander of
the Soviet space station,Natalya Kazarian,is holding out against
the militant fanatics on orders from her government,which is still
in power -- barely -- at the Kremlin.As the U.S. space commander,
you have a three-part objective: defend America from missile
attacks,protect U.S. space installations from attacking KGB ships
and rescue the Soviet commander if her station's defenses fall.
Your first goal should be mastering the controls of your
starfighter.Fly the ship anywhere in Earth orbit,circling the
globe with full thrusters just for the fun of it,blasting Russian
attack ships into space dust or attempting to dock with one of the
two space stations,Soviet or American.Docking with the U.S. space
station,you can go to the bridge through the airlock and access
SDI control screens to defend America against Russian missile
attacks.You can also use the ship to repair or deploy new SDI
Fly the starfighter anywhere in Earth orbit,docking with either of
the two space stations.Use the ship to track down and destroy KGB
ships as they enter orbit.Fly out to replace SDI satellites as
they are destroyed by the Russian ships.
- In the ship,your joystick allows you to guide your craft and
fire her weapons.
- To change course,push LEFT,RIGHT,UP or DOWN.
- To increase speed,type "+" (plus sign)
- To decrease speed,type "-" (minus sign)
- To fire weapons,press the joystick button
- Speed Indicator - Displays the speed of your ship.
- Shield Indicator - Displays the status of your shields.
- Energy Indicator - Displays your energy level.
Accessing Navigation Displays:
- Orbital Scanner - Hit O to access the Orbital Scanner.
- Satellite Status - Hit S to access the Satellite Status.
Navigation with the Orbital Scanner. This screen displays your
ship's position in orbit over a map of the world.Also displayed
are the positions of the two space stations (Soviet and American)
and the locations of any KGB spaceships that have entered orbit.
It can be accessed from your starfighter or the U.S. space
- To plot a course toward any destination,move the arrow cursor
over your target and press the joystick button.
- Your navigational computer changes the ship's heading
automatically and you exit the display.
- If you want to leave this screen without changing course (OR if
you accessed it from the bridge),move the cursor over the words
"STAND DOWN" and press the joystick button.
SATELLITE STATUS AND REPAIR
The Satellite Status Display,a map of the U.S. with pictures of 12
satellites,can be accessed from your starfighter or the space
station,and shows whether your SDI satellites are functioning or
damaged.If the KGB fanatics launch ships into orbit,they'll try to
knock out yor satellites,so intercept the attacking ships before
they reach the area over the U.S.
The 12 SDI satellites in orbit protect the U.S. completely if all
of them are operational.They are positioned to protect the four
time zones (PACIFIC,MOUNTAIN,CENTRAL and EASTERN),and each time
zone is covered by three satellites.Holes in the defense are
created if satellites are knocked out by KGB ships.If a hole
exists,a missile passing through the affected area is much harder
to target and destroy.
To repair or replace a satellite you must be in the starfighter
(not in the space station) and follow these steps:
- First set a course by moving the cursor over the satellite and
pressing the joystick button.
- When you approach within range of the satellite,type R on your
keyboard.Your ship's navigational computer will perform the
satellite acquisition and repair automatically.
- When the procedure is complete,start your engines and set course
for your next destination.
- If you called the satellite display from the space station
bridge (or if you want to exit without changing course),move
the cursor over the words "STAND DOWN" and press the joystick
To reach one of the space stations from your ship in orbit,call up
the orbital scanner by typing O.Select one of the space stations
as the destination (see NAVIGATION) and the navigational computer
will set the correct course and return you to the cockpit display.
- When the space station comes within range,type D to begin the
- Use your docking computer to guide your ship into the docking
bay at the center of the station.
- To steer,push the joystick LEFT,RIGHT,UP or DOWN.
- To slow down,press the joystick button to fire braking rockets.
- When docking is completed successfully,you'll exit your ship
through an airlock and enter the space station.
- If you miss the docking bay the first time,steer your ship back
around for another attempt.
The U.S. space station is your base.Here,you may access the
orbital scanner to view the strategic situation,check on the
status of the SDI satellite array,and use SDI to defend the U.S.
against missile attacks.
After docking with the station,you enter the bridge and take your
seat at the command console.Three screen displays are shown on the
walls of the bridge.To access one of them,move the arrow cursor
over the screen of your choice on the wall and press the joystick
- Orbital Scanner - see ORBITAL SCANNER for instructions.
- Satellite Status - see SATELLITE STATUS & REPAIR for
- SDI Control Screen - see S-D-I CONTROL for instructions.
- To return to your ship,move the cursor over the exit hatch in
the center of the screen and press the joystick button.
- If the space station is attacked,hurry to your ship to defend
the station -- it has shields,but extremely weak defenses.If
the station is destroyed,the U.S. lies open to nuclear attack.
Your mission will have failed.
The S-D-I Control Screen is accessed from the space station bridge
(see SPACE STATION).If the KGB launches a missile attack against
the U.S.,get to this display as quickly as you can.
- To shoot down the incoming missiles,move the target crosshairs
over the missile you want to destroy and press the joystick
- A view of the missile appears in a close-up window at the
bottom of the screen.
- To fire the particle beam weapon,aim the crosshairs at the
missile and press the fire button.
- When the missile is destroyed,quickly select another incoming
missile for targeting.
- The 12 SDI satellites each cover a different geographic region
(see SATELLITE STATUS & REPAIR).If one of the satellites has
been destroyed,missiles passing through its region will be more
difficult to hit.The nearest functioning satellite will fire at
the missile you've targeted,but the greater distance to the
target increases the chance of missing it.
- To exit this display,move the cursor over the words "STAND
DOWN" and press the joystick button.
LENIN DEFENSE STATION
When the Soviet V.I, Lenin Defense Station is under attack,its
commander may request help.Set your course for the station (see
ORBITAL SCANNER) and dock with it as described under DOCKING.Once
inside,you'll have to fight your way through the enemy guards that
have stormed the station.
- In each room,shoot as many guards as you can by aiming the
crosshairs and pressing the fire button.
- When you are ready to risk their fire and run to the next room,
then "RUN FOR IT" by moving the crosshairs over the words at
the bottom of the screen and pressing the fire button.
- If you make it all the way to the Soviet command center,Talya
should be waiting.
URGENT: THIS IS A RED ALPHA MESSAGE - PRIORITY ONE
TO: MCCORMICK FROM:SAC HEADQUARTERS
Disregard your current S.D.I. command instructions.New
instructions are NOW in effect! REPEAT: Your flight manual is
INVALID!These are your new controls.Good luck sloan,and may God be
with you .....
Insert S.D.I. REEL ONE into your drive.If you have a second drive
load it with S.D.I. REEL TWO.Double-click on the file SDI.PRG.
(1040 owners will be given the option of creating a "ram disk")
After the CINEMAWARE screen appears,push your joystick button if
you want to skip the intro.
Here are your objectives:
1. Destroy enemy fighters.
2. Repair damaged satellites.
3. Eliminate Russian missile strikes.
4. When the Russian station is overthrown (Natalya will call for
help) you must at least ATTEMPT a rescue.
5. After leaving the Russian station,finish off the remaining
- Scanner - Click on the flashing green screen display.
- Satellite Status - The flashing display in the upper-right hand
corner brings up the S.D.I. satellite network.
- SDI Control - The two flashing screens in the middle take you
to the missile defense sequence.
- Airlock - To enter the fighter click on your character in the
center of the screen.An elevator will take you to the airlock.
Missile Defense: Target the inbounds by moving your cursor to the
end of the missiles arc and pressing the joystick button.The
following information will be displayed: PRIMARY SATELLITE STATUS
(functional or damaged), MISSILE DESTINATION (an American city),
SATELLITE NUMBER,and MISSILE COORDINATES.Quickly press the button
to continue.Now the screen prompts you for PRIMARY or SECONDARY
satellite sequencing.Move the joystick right to select PRIMARY or
left to choose SECONDARY.Then decide between FULL BEAM or PULSE.
When the missile appears in your view screen,target it with the
cursor and fire.
- Primary - Selects the primary satellite for sequencing.
- Secondary - If the primary satellite is damaged you MUST choose
secondary at the prompt. (However,destroying the missile will
be much more difficult.)
- Full beam - Discharges a single,powerful beam.Easier to target,
but you have only one chance to hit the missile.
- Pulse - Recommended with secondary sequencing.When missiles no
longer appear click on the word "EXIT"
The indicator on the left displays your speed.Your fuel guage is
in the center and your shield status is displayed on the right.The
U.S. and Soviet stations will show up as dark black dots on your
radar.Damaged satellites are displayed as small blinking dots.
(Satellites that need to be repaired will blink on your main view
screen as well.)When an enemy missile strike is called the
computer automatically begins counting down.You have exactly two
minutes to dock with the U.S. station,make repairs and refuel,and
enter the missile defense sequence.Get back too early and you'll
waste time.Get back too late and you'll lose cities!When the
Russian station is overthrown the timer will count down from four
minutes.The sooner you dock with the Russian station the more time
you'll have to rescue Natalya from the evil KGB.
The following keyboard commands are available:
- M When the white message light is blinking press "m" to view
the incoming message.
- + - Use plus (+) and minus (-) to increase/decrease speed.
- D Press "d" to engage docking mode.Maneuver your ship with
the joystick to center one of the two stations inside the
red "docking target."Press the joystick button to call up
the computer aided docking sequence.Press the "d" key
again to return to "firing" mode.
- S The scanner constantly updates relative positions on a
world map.Your ship is displayed as a small white triangle
Rotate your fighter by tapping the joystick to the left or
right.Your ship will move in the direction it's pointing.
Accessing the scanner will return your ship to the correct
altitude for docking and satellite repair.Exit the scanner
by pushing your button.
- R Repairing satellites is similar to docking.When the
damaged satellite is centered in your green "repair
target" push the button.Press "r" again to exit repair
Computer Aided Docking Sequence: Center the docking port in your
view screen using the joystick.Your ship will accelerate
automatically.Slow down by pushing the joystick button to fire
your retro rockets.If you're not centered or moving too quickly
the docking will be aborted.After a successful dock with the U.S.
station you have an opportunity to refuel,recharge your shields
and make repairs.Move the cursor to the words highlighted in red
and push your button.To enter the station select ENTER AIRLOCK.
Choose DISENGAGE to return to combat.
Fire your lasers by pushing the joystick button.When your ship is
hit the screen displays a close-up of your character.Return to the
base if you need to make repairs.Press the space bar to toggle the
music on and off.
S.D.I. allows you to join Flash Gordon,Han Solo and all the rest
of the interplanetary heroes as you protect Earth from danger.
There is an important difference,however.This time the danger
comes,not from an alien invasion,but from a force here on Earth.
Let us hope that the geopolitical scenario which forms the basis
for the game,remains just that,a scenario for a computer game.
Typed by SEWER RAT